Every RAILS member faces the challenge of making the most of limited resources. Since all libraries share the common goal of offering the best possible service to library patrons, it is to the advantage of all that every RAILS member share resources with other member libraries to the widest extent possible.
Libraries are required to participate in resource sharing activities as a condition of full membership in RAILS. Components of resource sharing include interlibrary loan, reciprocal borrowing, and reciprocal access. Our primary service areas of shared catalogs, delivery, and talking book centers help support resource sharing among our members.
Important Requirements for Members
- RAILS Resource Sharing Policy
- ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code
- ILLINET Interlibrary Loan and Reciprocal Borrowing Survey
Your Library's Resource Sharing Policies
It is your library's responsibility to maintain current information in the L2 Resource Sharing Policies Directory. Library directors and other designated staff have access to edit your library's L2 record when logged into the Library Learning website.
- L2 Resource Sharing Directory Search
- Text Instructions: How to Update Your Policies in L2
- Video Tutorial: Overview of the Resource Sharing Directory in L2
- Video Tutorial: Updating the L2 Resource Sharing Directory
Libraries that are OCLC members also need to maintain a current record in the OCLC Policies Directory.