The Stickney-Forest View Public Library District has a part-time position available in the Popular Services Department. Our library is located in Stickney, IL, serving the communities of Stickney, Forest View, and Central Stickney.
The Popular Services Program Assistant position is responsible for planning, coordinating, and evaluating adult programming. We are looking to fill this position with someone who is customer-focused, detail-oriented, and self-motivated. In this position, you will be responsible for creating amazing experiences for our library patrons, connecting people with the library in ways that respond to their needs and interests. Must be able to work with people of all ages and function effectively as part of a team. Candidates will have a flexible schedule that includes evening and weekend hours. Limited desk coverage.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plans, coordinates, attends, and evaluates programming to serve the needs and interests of adults in the community, including but not limited to registration, patron check-in, and other public-facing responsibilities.
- Familiar with technologies used to run adult programming (e.g. Zoom, FB Live, library's meeting room audio visual (AV) equipment, etc.).
- Works with various community organizations to bring in speakers and presenters.
- Provides reference and reader's advisory to departmental patrons. Utilizes library technology including online databases and the internet, as well as traditional library resources, in answering patron queries.
- Engages in professional development appropriate to adult services, including reviewing current professional journals, attending professional workshops and meetings; and communicating with peers in other library settings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates must have valid driver's license, insurance, and reliable transportation.
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Some college required or minimum two years' relevant library experience, preferably in a public library setting.
- Strong knowledge of desktop and mobile computing, Microsoft Office suite, and social media.
- Broad knowledge of emerging technologies and library practices, procedures and materials.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain a positive and friendly demeanor in adverse situations.
Other highly desirable skills include:
- BA or BS degree from an accredited college or university preferred
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish
Applications will be accepted until Friday, July 9, 2021.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and references via email to email@example.com. All documents will need to be in pdf format, attached as one document if possible. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until Friday, July 9.